Links in my résumé are displayed / typed out because some places have actually asked for hardcopies.
Randy Tan Shaoxian
Wants to make quirky games (that are weird but potentially cute). Based in Malaysia.
(family name / surname is Tan (as in "ton", but "tan" the colour is fine too), first name is Randy, other name is Shaoxian (as in "shout" without the "t" sound, then "see an" said quickly))
Gameplay Programmer / Game Developer
Status: Game and application programmer at Gameka / working on a personal project
Email: oneseedfruit[at]gmail[dot]com randy.shaoxian.tan[at]gmail[dot]com
||Conversational. Able to read / write simple Chinese.
||Basic. Able to read / write hiragana, katakana, and basic kanji.
HomeTeam GameDev Member
I am also a member of HomeTeam GameDev (hometeamgamedev.com), an international remote-only game development organization founded by Chris DeLeon (chrisdeleon.com) in Los Angeles, CA.
At HomeTeam GameDev, I have also been a Game Changer (itch.io/c/188585/gamkedo-club).
Game Development Stack
Please note that I am mainly a gameplay programmer. The listed items are merely what I am comfortable working with. I am also using a Linux distro as my main operating system with Windows 10 on the side for testing, etc.
Engines / Frameworks Godot 3, Unity, Web API (Canvas), Phaser, Cocos Creator, libGDX, GDevelop, Kivy, Orx, SFML
Development Tools git, Visual Studio Code, Spacemacs
Art / Animation Krita, Inkscape, Spriter, Blender, GIMP
Audio / Music Audacity, Bosca Ceoil, SunVox
Others Trello, Slack, Discord, Markdown, OBS Studio
Game Development Experience
Some game development work I have done (that I am able / allowed to show).
with Unity (5 and later, C#)
Side-scrolling platformer shoot'em up inspired by Metal Warriors. 2D gameplay in 3D space.
Deck building game where you summon troops, cast supporting and offensive spells and all of this in real-time lighthearted strategic battles.
You and a partner race against the clock to safely deliver your patients to the hospital....in space....
other Unity projects
with Godot (GDScript)
And Then There Was One (Ludum Dare 44 Release, No Sound)
Two J-K flip-flops battling it out with bits. Turn-based.
Sweet Tooth Scribbler
Choose between sacrificing health for mood, or mood for health, while trying to maintain a good reputation.
Breakout / Pong meets farm sim.
Platformer + Space Invaders + Pong mashup (in development).
||Sole Developer / Designer / Artist
- Design of the game mechanics.
- Implementation of interactions between various game objects.
- Implementation of the game physics.
- Sprites animation.
other Godot projects
Scorched Earth clone.
Racing, includes split screen local multiplayer.
Quest-based action RPG.
Cyberpunk crime mystery.
Side-scrolling shooter similar to Gradius.
We Must Prepare
Post-apocalyptic farm sim like Stardew Valley with a robot and radiation.
Gameplay / UI Programmer
- Refactored code for better organization.
- Refactored and reorganized inventory and interface code.
- Some shortcut keys for inventory and hotbar.
- Stackable items are transferred correctly between the main inventory and the hotbar.
- Inventory and hotbar tooltips.
- Item counter labels on stackable items are automatically resized for single, double, and triple digits.
- Center-mirrored energy (stamina) bar for player.
- Energy bar changes colour depending on energy left.
- Tools inherit from items and using them consumes energy.
- Inventory slot mouse hover sound effect.
- Player sprite remembers to face the last direction the player moved in.
- When using keyboard controls, the player does action / uses tool a tile ahead in the direction it's facing.
- Clicking a nearby tile in the world causes the player to use the currently equipped tool on that tile.
- Hide outline on tile if the player cannot use the currently equipped tool on..
- Water in the watercan can be depleted and refilled from the lake.
- If there is a ripened crop in the focused tile, prioritize harvesting the crop first before using any tool.
- Wind from the weather system has direction.
- Wind blows crops according to its direction and magnitude via crop sprites getting rotated and translated.
- Fixed bugs.
1 vs 1 dodgeball.
Learn languages while swapping flies.